DBA - Data Base Administrator (Remote)
RemotePortugal, Lisboa, REMOTEEngineering
Air Apps' team is hiring highly motivated teammates to help build, maintain and market our mobile applications. We are a 100% remote company with just over 18 employees working across the globe every single day to build products that enrich people's lives. We combine the simplicity and greatness of Apple products by creating utility and productivity apps that make people's lives easier. Our portfolio contains Translate Now & Calculator Air, both the fastest-growing apps in their category. Our apps have been downloaded over 50 million times and received over 2 million ratings with an average of 4.6 stars.
At Air Apps, we intend to make people's life easier by offering software solutions that allow people to perform their daily activities in work, social, fitness, and learning right from their mobile devices.
About the role
The DBA will work on designing schemas for performance and scalability and maintaining and coordinating our NoSQL and SQL databases. In this role, you will have the opportunity to expand our Clusters as we go global, spinning up instances across many of the world's regions to handle our millions of customers. At Air Apps, we are obsessed with our customers' satisfaction, which is why we insist on having the highest standards. We value, above all, transparency and accountability in our relationship, the foundation of our strong team, integrated and free to recognize mistakes and get help to fix them quickly. If you are interested in a long-term collaboration set in a fast-paced environment where you will constantly be challenged, then look no further! Join us.
- Monitor DB Health and Performance
- Define and monitor DB Clusters autoscaling triggers
- Design and maintain DB schema for performance
- Design and implement security standards (Network rules, Users, ACLs...)
- Maintain Backup and disaster recovery for the DB environment
- Test the disaster recovery plan
- Produce Dashboards
- Document development and maintenance
Expected daily activities
- 40% Monitor DB Performance
- 30% Produce Dashboards
- 25% Support Backend developers on DB Schema design and queries for performance
- 5% Managerial tasks - Planning, Organising, and Controlling your tasks
Typical daily tasks are, but are not limited to:
- Monitor DB Health, Security, and Performance
- Look for slow performant queries and how to improve them
- Produce Dashboards with Looker, Data Studio, and Klipfolio
- Support developers teams on DB schema and queries design
- Documenting DB schemas, procedures, plans...
- Keep updated in the fields of Backend environment techniques and solutions
We offer a fully remote, results-driven work style that enhances productivity and quality, providing excellent work-life balance. We also have great opportunities to connect within our international team through coffee calls, team meetings, and hackathons.
- Proven startup with significant ambitions
- Highly competitive salary and bonuses
- Flexible work environment, 100% remote
- Apple hardware environment
- USD100.00 Monthly allowance (Home office, Learning, Wellness)
- USD350.00 Home office set up
- Retreats - We plan to hold a yearly get together (COVID19 - when safe again)
- Health insurance (or your country's standard)
- 24 Annual vacation days (or your country's standard)
- 4 weeks sick leave (or your country's standard)
- 4 weeks parental leave (or your country's standard)
- National holidays (or your country's standard)
- 40 Hours work-week (or your country's standard)
- Plus any other statutory benefit in your country
You are passionate about building world-class software. You aspire to join an energetic team in a fast-growing startup to develop and grow products at scale. Your desired skills and experience include:
- Proficient in English
- 2 years of professional experience in DB Administration
- Possess excellent DB Architecture and DB Design skills
- Great knowledge of MongoDB (Document DB)
- Great knowledge of DB Security
- Experience with DB Clusters tuning & optimization
- Experience with cloud services (AWS)
- Be up to date with the latest NoSQL and BigData trends, features, and requirements
- Enthusiasm for handling a fast-growing environment with increasing complexity, keeping our DBs safe and right-sized, scaling in and out when necessary
- Self-starting, self-motivated, self-directed, and self-sufficient
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience
The job requires operating in small teams in a highly dynamic and remote environment. Working remotely means that you need to, at least, manage one person - yourself. You must be able to, including but not limited to:
- Work effectively with multi-functional and international teams
- Work highly collaborative, without any micro-management necessary
- Use Slack and other remote communication/reporting tools
- Implement and structure a remote working routine
- Discipline and manage yourself
- Communicate heavily about statuses and issues
- Combine work and life in a healthy and productive flow
- Juggle multiple projects at the same time
- Work agile and fast, very fast
- Receive and provide constructive feedback
- Embrace changes
- Find the needle in the haystack and solve problems methodically
What Happens Next?
We expect to review your application ASAP. You'll hear from us within 2-3 days if we decide to invite you to a technical exercise. The exercise is representative of the kind of day-to-day work you'd be doing on the team. We usually only invite candidates to this stage that meet minimum standards, and those candidates should expect to spend about 2-3 hours completing this test.
The next phase of the hiring process will be a video interview with our people operations manager (approx. 30 min). You and she will talk through your background and your approach to remote, teamwork and Air Apps. After the people interview, the top candidates will proceed to the team interview stage. You'll talk with 1-2 members of the team about your technical knowledge, experience and discuss the position (approx. 1h).
The top candidates will proceed to the final interview stage. You'll talk to the leadership team and will align yours and the company's expectations. We aim to make an offer 3-5 days after your final interview.
Please note that we're unable to offer individual feedback during the process. We usually see 1,000+ applications, and our team can't provide personalized feedback. It is a demanding application process. We appreciate you giving us that consideration, and we promise to provide you with our full attention in return. We look forward to hearing from you!
This position is fully REMOTE, no re-allocation or visa sponsorship is provided. You will be able to work from anywhere; however, you will be hired in your legal country of residency.