iOS Engineer (Remote)
RemoteUnited States, New York, REMOTEEngineering
Air Apps' team is hiring highly motivated teammates to help build, maintain and market our mobile applications. We are a 100% remote company with just over 18 employees working across the globe every single day to build products that enrich people's lives. We combine the simplicity and greatness of Apple products by creating utility and productivity apps that make people's lives easier. Our portfolio contains Translate Now & Calculator Air, both the fastest-growing apps in their category. Our apps have been downloaded over 50 million times and received over 2 million ratings with an average of 4.6 stars.
At Air Apps, we intend to make people's life easier by offering software solutions that allow people to perform their daily activities in work, social, fitness, and learning right from their mobile devices.
About the role
We are looking for an iOS Software Engineer who will join our team of talented engineers to design and help us to build the next generation of iOS software. You will have the opportunity to create software that directly impacts how customers use our products. We work closely with Apple's human interface design team and our internal framework teams to define and develop the next generation of apps. The ideal engineer for this role is comfortable working in a dynamic and creative team charged with exploring an uncharted and rapidly evolving domain. You will be researching and developing entirely new apps and experiences, a challenge that will demand rapid experimentation and prototyping without sacrificing code quality or attention to detail.
- Take part in all activities relating to the Agile process, planning, stand-up, grooming, and estimation
- Collaborate closely and without barriers with the product team, backend, and other engineers to define top quality product features and solutions
- Take the lead on architecting solutions with the aim to always selecting the appropriate technologies
- Discern logical steps from a set of requirements enabling a feature or set of features to be delivered in smaller increments
- Deliver functionality swiftly and in working increments
- Write clean, efficient, reusable and testable code
- Take part in peer code reviews working with teammates to review code, style, design, and tests
- Use peer reviews as a space to grow and be challenged where solutions can be collectively analyzed and improved
- Lead and mentor other team members in building a product-minded engineering culture
Expected daily activities
(70% Technical, 20% Administrative, 10% Research)
- Take part in daily stand-up promoting transparency and collaboration
- Planning & grooming sessions with the aim to keeping a healthy backlog of features ready for development
- Work on features/bugs/improvements as outlined in planning sessions
- Communicating early and often on progress/status of currently assigned tasks
- Creating and reviewing pull requests with other team members
- Managing CI/CD pipeline and nightly builds
- Identify areas that require documentation creating new or editing existing documentation
We offer a fully remote, results-driven work style that enhances productivity and quality, providing excellent work-life balance. We also have great opportunities to connect within our international team through coffee calls, team meetings, and hackathons.
- Proven startup with significant ambitions
- Highly competitive salary and bonuses
- Flexible work environment, 100% remote
- Apple hardware environment
- USD100.00 Monthly allowance (Home office, Learning, Wellness)
- USD350.00 Home office set up
- Retreats - We plan to hold a yearly get together (COVID19 - when safe again)
- Health insurance (or your country's standard)
- 24 Annual vacation days (or your country's standard)
- 4 weeks sick leave (or your country's standard)
- 4 weeks parental leave (or your country's standard)
- National holidays (or your country's standard)
- 40 Hours work-week (or your country's standard)
- Plus any other statutory benefit in your country
You are passionate about building world-class software. You aspire to join an energetic team in a fast-growing startup to build and grow products at scale. Your desired skills and experience include:
- Proficient in English
- 5+ years of professional experience in iOS Development
- 3+ years of programming in Swift
- Experience with Objective-C
- iOS / iPadOS / Watch OS / macOS SDKS
- Solid Understanding of iOS Cocoa Touch Framework.
- Good understanding of SOLID principles
- Experience working with CICD pipelines like Bitrise or Jenkins
- Worked with package managers like Cocoapods or HomeBrew
- Solid knowledge of Gitflow, code reviews, and processes
- Good understanding of App Store release process
- Enthusiasm for latest iOS, Watch OS, macOS trends, features, and releases
- Good experience with systems analysis and their design, and working with other engineers and architects
- Worked in a lean and agile development process, at a minimum Kanban or Scrum
- Possess excellent communication skills and proven experience with best software practices and methodologies
- Self-starting, self-motivated, self-directed, and self-sufficient
- BS in Computer Science / Programming or equivalent industry experience
The job requires operating in small teams, in a highly dynamic and remote environment. Working remote means that you need to, at least, manage one person - yourself. You must be able to, including but not limited to:
- Work effectively with multi-functional and international teams
- Work highly collaborative, without any micro-management necessary
- Use Slack and other remote communication/reporting tools
- Implement and structure a remote working routine
- Discipline and manage yourself
- Communicate heavily about statuses and issues
- Combine work and life in a healthy and productive flow
- Juggle multiple projects at the same time
- Work agile and fast, very fast
- Receive and provide constructive feedback
- Embrace changes
- Find the needle in the haystack and solve problems methodically
What Happens Next?
We expect to review your application ASAP. You'll hear from us within 2-3 days if we decide to invite you to a technical exercise. The exercise is representative of the kind of day-to-day work you'd be doing on the team. We usually only invite candidates to this stage that meet minimum standards, and those candidates should expect to spend about 2-3 hours completing this test.
The next phase of the hiring process will be a video interview with our people operations manager (approx. 30 min). You and she will talk through your background and your approach to remote, teamwork and Air Apps. After the people interview, the top candidates will proceed to the team interview stage. You'll talk with 1-2 members of the team about your technical knowledge, experience and discuss the position (approx. 1h).
The top candidates will proceed to the final interview stage. You'll talk to the leadership team and will align yours and the company's expectations. We aim to make an offer 3-5 days after your final interview.
Please note that we're unable to offer individual feedback during the process. We usually see 1,000+ applications, and our team can't provide personalized feedback. It is a demanding application process. We appreciate you giving us that consideration, and we promise to provide you with our full attention in return. We look forward to hearing from you!
This position is fully REMOTE, no re-allocation or visa sponsorship is provided. You will be able to work from anywhere; however, you will be hired in your legal country of residency.